Monday, 1 April 2013

Minecraft Forge Modding Setup Part One: Setting up MCP and Forge

Welcome to my Minecraft Forge tutorials for modders (and want-to-be ones too)!

NOTE: This is currently out of date.

I'm here today to start a series of tutorials for modding the game Minecraft using an API known as Minecraft Forge. Before I begin, please allow me to explain that although modding games is usually illegal, in the case of Minecraft the creators of the game (first Markus Persson then Mojang) have allowed us to do so. However, we are not allowed to sell our mods. My next point is that we will use a tool called Minecraft Coders Pack (or MCP for short) to get into the game's code. Now, let's begin by setting up our coding enviroment!

Part One: Set up Forge

Please remember that I will describe some things as I do them, however more professional modders may use different ideas.

First, click here to download the latest version of Forge. Click absolutely NOTHING else than Skip Ad. This will download the compressed file.

Next, create a folder for where you will keep your MCP setups. I call this MinecraftModding. Create a folder inside that one for your new mod. I use a format which is 151-whiteStoneForge0.2, where 151 is the Minecraft version (1.5.1 in this case), whiteStoneForge is my mod's internal name (what it calls itself from the code) and 0.2 is the version.
Now we need to copy the forge folder in the zip file we downloaded to the mod folder (in my case 151-whiteStoneForge0.2).
The last thing we need to do is go into the forge folder and run the install.cmd (Linux users will have to install Python 2.7 then run install.sh). We don't have to get MCP, Forge and Minecraft anymore as Forge does it for us. Also, if you want to make a ModLoader mod, DO NOT set up ModLoader in the minecraft.jar. Forge Mod Loader inplements all of the old obselete ModLoader methods. In my opinion Forge is much easier, more compatible and much better than ModLoader anyway as well as allowing mods to run without needing to edit Mnecraft's code.

1 comment:

  1. is there a python forge programing module?

    ReplyDelete

Comments